I was going to post something about sandwiches, but Isobel’s MSN-ing me and we’ve thought up stupider topics (well Google has and she’s passed them on). So:
10 Stupid Yet Funny Ways to Propose Marriage
- Over the telephone. What if the line was dodgy and you mis-heard? What if your credit ran out before they answered? What if the call was hacked and broadcast live on the Internet, and they said no?
- Over text. Personally, I’d think they were joking. But then, some of the most serious conversations of my life have been over text. They would have been easier face-to-face though. When you’re in Greece and she’s in England, it’s really hard to read facial expressions.
- By email. They might mistake it for chain mail or spam! They might never get back to you!
- Via MSN. My connection’s always faulty, if it were me I might not even get the message. Person might not be who you think it is, it might be their little brother or wife or someone from Canada.
- One of those aeroplane banner whatsits. Bloody difficult to read when the sun gets in your eyes. I know love is blind, but that’s stretching it a bit… Plus random members of the public might think it was for them. RIOTS could start.
- On the big screen at a sporting event. I think they do this in America a lot. Downside is everyone can see if you say no. If you say yes when you want to say no – but can’t because all of Madison Square Garden is watching, you’ll end up with either a sham marriage or a broken-off-at-the-last-minute engagement, and you’d have to return the dress.
- Live on TV. Hilary’s boyfriend did this on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I think. He proposed while on some local show she was watching, while bungee jumping from a plane. He didn’t land very well. In fact, he died.
- In front of his/her entire family. Who have just been bitching about how you’re the rebound relationship from the guy who left her for a trapeze artist.
- In the middle of a gunfight/
the centre of a restaurantokay sorry. In the middle of a gunfight, air raid, terrorist attack, drugs bust, gas explosion, car crash or any other situation where you’re only asking because you think you’re both going to die soon. When you both live you’ll realise you’ve never even seen her before in your life, you mistook her for the girl who lives on the corner of your nan’s street.
- Straight after she says “I’m pregnant.” Let’s face it, the kid would rather grow up in a stable single-parent household than one with two parents who resent one another and their child because the aftermath of that drinking game led to a moment of chivalry and a lifetime of affairs.
While writing this I realised that today is my parents’ seventeenth wedding anniversary. Oddly, I do not know how they got engaged.
I was reading the comments and remembered the most stupid way to propose:
Halfway up a chairlift/ski lift/normal lift, or on a long journey. If the person says no, you are in for one awkward ride.
4 thoughts on “10 Stupid Yet Funny Ways to Propose Marriage.”
i think dad proposed to mum in the lounge of their flat. nothing too exciting.
hmmmm. i will probably laugh if any man proposes to me. i just find it hilarious how it all goes serious and silent. but then, i always laugh at the wrong moment!
and, i dont think any man will propose to me. mum says i glare at boys too much. is that a bad thing? or should i be asking ellen that?
bel x 🙂
p.s glad to of service. if you need inspiration again, you know where i am. in bed. or on the sofa.:)
And why on earth should you be asking me isobel!? 😉 xx
I belive my dad proposed to my mum half way up a hill :L lol
I wouldn’t laugh isobel, i would probably make it very awkward though by saying no even if it was just for a joke…i wouldnt be able to resist xx
Isobel: I glare at everyone, make your own judgement as to its productivity. Somehow I think the bloke proposing to you will know not to go silent. If he doesn’t. DON’T MARRY HIM.
Ellen: you know why! Where was the hill?